Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Tuesday, March 2, 2010

The dress that made me cuss A LOT!



I said a lot of bad words last night. I need to wash this dress about 14 times to remove all the bad language that poured upon it! But, now that it's finished and ready to smock, I'm pretty proud of it. I just need to try it on Karlee and sew the bottom hem. I was afraid to go ahead and do that last night without measuring her. I don't want there to be any reason Karlee can't wear this dress once the smocking is done. She may wear it everyday once it's smocked to make me feel better about making it. It wasn't really that hard but it was so darn tedious. I had no idea it would entail so much small detail work and hand sewing around the back placket and neck band.



To all the husbands out there that complain about how much children's clothes cost. They are worth every penny. I had no idea how many hours of work went into making a bishop. And, I haven't even smocked it yet. That will take several more hours. I would like to think that I will make Karlee more bishops, but right now, I just want to stick this one in the closet and never look at it again. I am so over it right now. Maybe it's the getting home at 11:45 last night that's doing the talking right now but good golly this dress drove me crazy!!

I wanted to pick a fabric that was more whimsical than plain like most hand-made bishops are. I hope to get it smocked before Karlee's class pictures in 3 weeks but that's highly doubtful(and it's tax season). I wanted to put ric rac on the sleeves but the Sewing Center didn't have a color I liked so I went with this other stuff. I'm glad I chose this because I think it's so cute. I have no idea what it's called though. I plan to smock a pretty geometric plate in bright greens and oranges to stand out at the top. I have it pictured in my head but it will probably not turn out that way.



Oh well. If it is the only one I ever make, at least Karlee will have one hand-made dress from her mommy to pass down to her child. I'm just glad she has several more from Erin's sweet mom to pass down too. I really appreciate those from her now that I know how much time is involved in making one.

3 comments:

The Mader's said...

Well done! That is adorable!!! Even if it was so frustrating to make! Super cute!

Lori King said...

I looked at a catalog today of smocked dresses and rompers and when I saw the prices I thought they are worth every penny. I really wanted to get up and leave last night more times than I can count. Your dress is super cute and I cant wait to see it smocked. Tell Cindy to let me come back and take another class but please please make it 3 nights (and maybe I wont complain so much). :)

thebarronfam said...

That is so cute!!! And William loved the construction pictures too!!!