Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Monday, February 2, 2009

Doctors, Parties, and Wishing for Summer

Karlee had her 1 year check up on Friday. She's healthy as a horse, weighs 18 lbs 10 oz and is 29 1/4 inches. Dr. Greer laughed at her chinese talking and said he wanted to take her home for a week. We are transitioning from formula to milk. I hope it's as much of a breeze as mamma's milk to formula was. All this talk about weaning from a bottle makes me sad. Bottles represent babies and sippy cups represent toddlers to me. Time just needs to stop for a little while!

Chip and I helped Brooke celebrate turning 30 Saturday night. It was a much needed adult socializing time. My jaws hurt throughout Sunday from all the laughing on the car ride to and from Hunter's Pub followed by a few rounds of Catch Phrase at the Reaves' house.

Sunday, we celebrated Rolley Len Kirk's 1st birthday. It is so weird that her birthday is after Karlee's because Christy's due date was ahead of me by a week and a half. Karlee enjoyed being pulled on the Thomas train by Rolley Len. The fussing didn't start until it was Karlee's turn to pull Rolley Len. Karlee wanted no part of being off the train. It being one hour past her nap time had a lot to do with that, I'm sure.




I made a trip to Target Saturday for a few things. I ran across the little girl bathing suits that they just put out. Target never has Karlee's size in stock when I need something so I decided to go ahead and get a few while they had her size. And, of course, I had to get matching cover-ups for each. I spent Karlee's nap time this afternoon designing and embroidering one of them. I think I will put a beach ball on one of the other ones.






Speaking of Karlee's nap time, I have read on a few blogs about sound machines. I didn't think anything of them because Karlee has always been a really good sleeper. After the loud (really loud) game of Catch Phrase with a sleeping baby in the house at Joanna's Saturday night, I began thinking. Maybe having one of these wasn't such a bad idea for noisy times around the house. And I thought about the company we will have this weekend that will be sleeping upstairs next to Karlee's room. I went to Bed, Bath & Beyond while Karlee was in school today just to see how much they were. $19.99 later, I have a sound machine.

Well, it truly does wonders. Karlee has been asleep for 3 1/2 hours and is still asleep. I have had the washer and dryer running like crazy, which is directly underneath her room. The phone has rang three times which is loud because we have one that speaks to you and tells you who is calling. I have talked on the phone and ran the embroidery machine in the room directly beside Karlee's room. Karlee hates cover on her when she sleeps. By the time I get downstairs and turn on the monitor at night, she has already kicked the cover off. We have one of those video monitors so I can see her when she sleeps. She has not moved during this nap. The cover has been on her the entire time.

I'm not sure if I will use it all the time or not. May main reasoning for getting one was Monday and Friday mornings. I don't work on those days and would love to sleep later than 6:00. On Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday mornings, I get Karlee up around 6:15 so Chip can take her with him to his mom's since I work on those days. She is used to hearing Chip stir around between 5:45 and 6:15 and usually starts to stir herself. If I can drown out that sound on Monday and Friday mornings, maybe she will stay asleep longer. She wakes around 6:00, takes a bottle and goes right back to sleep until about 9:00. I think she doesn't want to be awake, it's just new noise that makes her aware that someone is up. Granted, I'm only in her room about 30 minutes, but I can't go back to sleep when she does. I just lay there staring at the fan and decide to just get up. We'll see if the sound machine works Friday morning or not.

2 comments:

John Smith said...

Let me know how the sound machine works for her. I wanted to dig mine out for nighttime when we move her into her room (this week!). She still wakes up once during the night so I am about ready for a full night's sleep after a full year of deprivation.
After the party she slept over two hours in the den in her basket and when she finally woke up she opened Karlee's present. She loved it all. We have read Elmo many times already and she walked around with her outfit on her head (great embroidery!), and chewed on the cards (have to work on that).Thank you so much. She had a lot of fun with Karlee and I hope she had fun too.That was the first night that RL slept all the way through the night so she was worn out.

Joanna said...

I was "anti-sound machine" until the construction started across the street this fall. When Prather's naps didn't last but 45 minutes to an hour.... I invested in one! You will LOVE IT! As you could tell on Saturday night (and we were LOUD), all the noise never even phased him! We had so much fun!