Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Wednesday, May 5, 2010

One Year Ago...




my life was turned upside down for a few hours. Receiving the phone call that my parents had been in a car accident and were headed to a hospital in Gainsville, Florida made my heart stop beating. It was Mother's Day. Why was this happening? Why can Chip not drive my car faster and get me to my parents?

Since Mother's Day is just around the corner, I've been sitting here thinking about gifts and weekend plans. I'm also thinking about how very different this past year would have been had I lost one or both of my parents on that day. How would I survive without them? How would I survive without talking to my mom everyday? I know I will have to deal with that one day, but Lord, I hope no time soon.

How would Karlee's life had changed on that day? She adores them with all of her being. She takes off running to them whenever she sees them. I even have to let her call them sometimes just to get her to calm down at night. How would you explain death to a then one year old?

A year later, I still have no idea how my mom managed to flip the truck and camper 5 times off the interstate with no traffic around her. I guess the Lord above only knows and was definitely with them on that day.

To all reading this, don't take your mother or any parent for granted. Tell them you love them everyday, not just on special occasions. And, if you don't have a good relationship with a parent, do you remember what it is exactly you are fighting over? Is it really something bad or just plain petty? You may not have tomorrow to figure that out, or even this afternoon. Just think about it. Do you really want to go on living your normal life knowing that something could have been resolved with a simple conversation?

No comments: