Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Saturday, August 29, 2009

No! I'm not ready for this.


It is official at 19 months and 3 days. Karlee has started climbing out of her crib. It all started Friday at nap time. I rocked her and read a book as usual then put her in the crib. I bent over to pick up her laundry basket to do my normal Friday Karlee washing while she napped. As I stood up, I saw her. Those little arms used every muscle they have and then there she was about to go head first over the crib rail. I grabbed her before she went all the way over. We had a very harsh talk that involved showing her the "sad stick" and back in the crib she went.
I made it down stairs and into the laundry room. Then....."Boom" ...."Whaaaaaaa". I knew exactly what had happened before I even opened her door. She had a successful attempt at climbing out of the crib. She just has not learned how to gracefully do it without falling head first. Check out the carpet burn on the forehead (finally still enough in the bath for me to get a picture of it)!! I'm just thankful she didn't break her nose or any other body part by the dead weight fall.
She did not attempt the climb during the night last night. But, nap time today she had one attempt. I stood outside the door and watched through the video monitor. She laid there for a little bit and then up she stood. As I saw two feet leave the mattress, I opened the door. She smiled at me and laid back down. I held up the "sad stick" and told her I would use it if she tried to climb out again. No more attempts after that!
Her crib converts to a toddler bed and then into a full size bed. I'm definitely not ready to put her in a big girl full size bed but the toddler bed may have to be made soon. Why can't time just stop for a little while? She's still my baby and babies belong in cribs!

4 comments:

The Dilworth Family said...

Take out her bumper pads if you have not already...she may be using those help her over. Hopefully it's just a short-lived phase!!!

Chip, Allyson and Karlee Baker said...

Unfortunatley, the bumber pads are already out. She's hoisting herself out with just her arms and legs!

Brandy said...

Awwww! Love the shot of those big blue eyes, though!

Anonymous said...

she is more than welcome in my bed