Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Thursday, December 29, 2011

First Round of Christmas Gatherings

On the weekend before Christmas, we kicked off our Christmas celebrations with gatherings for both sides of my parents families. Saturday we headed to my Mawmaw's house for an afternoon of fun with my dad's family. My aunt, uncle, and cousin were here from Louisiana which was a special treat for everyone. We enjoyed yummy food and opened a few presents. My Mawmaw sews really well but has a hard time getting to it these days. She just can't sit for hours on end and finish something like she used to. I have always told her that as long as she is able, I would much rather have something made by her than anything bought in a store. So, I was excited when Karlee opened her gift and found a Christmas apron, a Christmas cookbook (child's cookbook printed on fabric and sewn together), and a regular everyday apron. This is a perfect gift for Karlee because the child is always in the kitchen wanting to help cook and wanting to just create something of her own. Madelyn also received her own Christmas apron, everyday apron, and a Christmas fabric reading book. The excitement continued when I opened a matching Christmas apron and an everyday apron. These are treasures for me that I will keep forever. Now, every Christmas, we can put on our matching aprons and whip up some special treats and always have my Mawmaw with us. Of course the kiddos had to open a toy each too because my mom said they just had to have a toy to open. Like we really need more of those!!



On Sunday afternoon, we spent time with my mom's side of the family at one of my cousins house. This Christmas gathering can get chaotic quick with all the people and all the presents that the aunts, uncles, and cousins always have. This year was different though. The young kids still draw names and the adults play dirty Santa. But, instead of all the aunts and uncles buying gifts for all the kids, we decided to adopt a family. Our entire family is blessed with what we have so our kids do not need all the gifts that they usually come home with from this gathering. We chose a family that has a student in my cousin Jamie's class. Each family contributed whatever they wanted to give and Jamie had a wish list from the family. They did not know the teacher was doing this. Someone from the principal's office just told the family that another family wanted to help them out for Christmas and to please provide a list of the things they most needed. Jamie and Tabatha went shopping on Monday before Christmas and the items were delivered to the family. The fact that our massive family could help a family in need enjoy Christmas was so fulfilling. We can all get wrapped up in the hustle and bustle of Christmas and not stop to think about the real reason for the season. We were able to spread our joy and love to a family that we have never met. I truly hope we continue this tradition.

My girls enjoyed their gifts and Madelyn was funny figuring out how to unwrap them. She is at such a fun age and her little face lights up with everything.


No comments: