Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Thursday, July 28, 2011

Karlee Van Gogh

Karlee's absolute favorite thing to do these days is paint. We usually spread everything out on the kitchen table but it gets burdensome when trying to make her pick everything up to get breakfast, lunch, or dinner on the table. The art table wasn't getting used much in the playroom because I refuse to let her paint on carpet. So, the dining room has been transformed into Karlee's "art center". At least that room is getting used daily now instead of once a year at Christmas!




We made a trip to Hobby Lobby to get an art box to store all the paint, brushes, scissors, stickers, paper, crayons, and color pencils in. I knew having them out would just draw the attention of our little crawler.



While at Hobby Lobby, I picked up a canvas for Karlee to paint. There's a blank spot in her room that I've been trying to think of something to fill the space. Why not let Karlee be the artist for something special to hang in her own room? She started painting with lots of colors. I showed her how to outline the section and color it in so the colors wouldn't run together. She had a ball doing this. I loved watching her little mind think of what color she would use next while rinsing off the brush.




The finished product! Since Karlee can't sign her name yet, I let her mark it with a hand print. Which as you can see turned into 4 hand prints!



I told her we would let it dry during her nap and then hang it later that day. She then told me she wanted to give the painting to her daddy so he could hang it in his office. I was totally not expecting that. But, who am I to argue with the artist! When Chip got home from work, Karlee surprised him with "his" painting. She was so proud. Looks like I will be making another trip to Hobby Lobby for a canvas she can paint for her room.

No comments: