Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Thursday, July 28, 2011

1st Swim Lessons

Karlee started swimming lessons on July 8. Since we live in the water all summer long, Chip and I knew it was time to get her some water training. She loves to swim but it has always been with her "ladybug". I had a terrible fear that Karlee would fall in the water somewhere and not know how to get back to safety. Ironically, she jumped in the pool on the 4th of July without her ladybug while playing with friends. Sweet Hudson said "Karlee's under water" and Jay got to her first. (I was inside feeding Madelyn and Chip had turned his back about 10 seconds to put on chap stick.) I was so glad that swim lessons started that same week! Karlee had lessons on Friday and Monday mornings in July.

I chose to put her in private lessons to start off. I have heard of children crying and screaming at group lessons and I didn't want Karlee to see that and think water was scary. Her teacher was Amber Fulford. I have known her a long time (she's my brother's age) and she is so sweet. I knew Karlee would instantly like her; and, she did! The first day, Amber started off seeing what Karlee could do. She already was swimming with her head in the water so Amber taught her to breath out of her nose and keep her body on top of the water. She taught her how to correctly paddle her hands and kick her feet while keeping her head in the water. By the end of the first 30 minute lesson, Karlee was swimming correctly all by herself!





On the second lesson, Amber taught Karlee how to jump in and swim back up to the top of the water and then swim back to the side. This satisfies my fear of knowing what to do if she falls in. They also worked on floating on her back if she gets tired of swimming. No pictures of this because Madelyn was DONE with sitting!





The freestyle technique was taught on the 3rd lesson. Karlee is still so little so her arms don't come far out of the water when bringing them around.




The 4th lesson was rained out so on what was supposed to be the 5th lesson, Amber had Karlee swimming a longer distance. She started at the end of the shallow end and swam by herself to the steps. Then, all of a sudden, she touched the step, turned around, and swam all the way back to Amber. I was so proud and Amber was shocked! At the end of the lesson, we decided not to make up the rained out session and let this be Karlee's last one. Amber and I both felt comfortable that Karlee could get back to safety if she ever needed to. That was my ultimate goal. I mean, she's only 3 so I'm not expecting her to learn how to be an Olympic swimmer (yet!). And, I would never leave her in a pool to swim alone. I am always by her side (with Madelyn on my hip) anytime we are in water.





So, Karlee is officially a fish. Madelyn wanted to get in the water so bad every lesson. She would reach her hands out like she wanted Amber to take her. She already wants to do everything her big sister does. She may learn to swim by the age of 1 if she keeps this up!

No comments: