Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Monday, March 21, 2011

Beautiful Charleston

Last weekend, Chip's college friend Chad got married in Charleston. The original plan was for this to be our first weekend getaway without kids since Madelyn was born. Well, with me being back at work and it also being tax season, my milk storage has dwindled and I'm forgetting to pump on time at work and have totally screwed up the pumped milk supply. So, Karlee stayed home with Chip's parents, Madelyn went with us, and my gracious mom went too to help with Madelyn and keep her during the wedding.

I was so anxious about the LONG drive with a teething 4 month old. Boy did Madelyn surprise us all. She was really good all the way to Lagrange and then she fell asleep all the way to Augusta (a little over 4 hours). When she woke, we stopped for a late lunch and let Madelyn stretch a while before the next leg of the trip. The getting put back in the car seat part was not fun (for any of us.) Madelyn cried for a while and wore herself out before falling back to sleep. She would then wake again, scream, and scream some more. We stopped two more times between Augusta and Charleston. I think 4 hours in a car seat is her limit!

We finally made it to our cute bed and breakfast. Anxiety set in again when I was worried we would get kicked out because of a screaming baby. Madelyn was great the entire weekend. At breakfast, it was nice to hear others say they didn't know a baby was even in the house (especially since Madelyn doesn't sleep through the night).

It was fun being on vacation with just Madelyn and getting to experience firsts with her alone like we did with Karlee. It was also fun spending time with my mom. None of us have ever been to Charleston so we set out early Saturday morning and walked at least 20 miles (in my opinion!)

Madelyn seeing the Atlantic Ocean for the first time.




On the steps of the U.S. Customs House and Madelyn was like a bobble head looking around at everything!



We had to buy a hat at the market because I forgot to pack the kitchen sink and a hat!



We broke the trip home up a little and went through Savannah. My mom has never been there so we ate lunch on River Street and strolled through the historic district and Forsyth Park. St. Patrick's Day is a big deal in Savannah so all of the fountains were already green. I wish the river had been green already so we could have seen that.




Then we journeyed home where Madelyn slept great until we hit the 90 miles to Auburn mark. Then the screaming started and IT DID NOT STOP until we got off the interstate and I told mom to take Madelyn out of the car seat. Once she was out, she was as happy as she could be. I told Chip to drive slow and careful the rest of the way home.

Since we got home so late, Karlee was already in bed so she came home the next morning. She walked right pass me and straight to play with Madelyn. She really missed her sister.

No comments: